Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Diligent, Resourceful, and Smart

I wish all of you a very happy, healthy, exciting, and prosperous Year of the Rat!

In the oriental zodiac, the Rat is the first of the twelve animals;  one common legend says he tricked the Ox into carrying him up to the finish line of the race to visit the Jade Emperor, hopping off at the last moment and crossing the line first. Such clever resourcefulness is attributed to the Rat, as is diligence and thrift, making the Rat a symbol of wealth and prosperity.

I don't really see cunning and diligence as going together especially well or often in the same individual, but neither do I see the two traits as utterly, invariably mutually exclusive. Certainly being quick-witted, adaptable, imaginative, and hard-working could be conducive to material success.

2020 is going to demand a great deal of diligence from me, and probably considerable thrift as well. I shall endeavor to apply the Rat's adaptability to  the tasks ahead too.

May the coming year be better than any before!









3 comments:

Steve said...

Anonymous said...

Steve has left a new comment on your post "Diligent, Resourceful, and Smart":

Happy New Year!

Hey, I was born in San Francisco too, fellow human. :-)

I've lived half my life here in Japan. I live in Isesaki.

Feel free to contact me if you ever wanna' meet up!



Anyway, best wishes of Health, Humor, & Happiness!

Balefire said...

Thanks for the comment, Steve, and my apologies for the delay in responding.
Also for the very odd way that the comment appears: ineptly redacting your contact information makes it look like a post from me.
Gomen.
If you read my more recent post you'll see that it may be a while before I'm able to arrange a meeting, but until I can, consider yourself toasted often by this fellow San Franciscan.

Have a great year!